Table of Contents
the best choice to beat anxiety disorders
When can you use Actavis diazepam?
You can use Actavis diazepam in:
- The treatment of muscle spasms, including those that originate in the brain.
- The treatment of anxiety.
- Withdrawal symptoms of alcohol.
- Sedation before operations.
When you can’t take Actavis diazepam?
Don’t take diazepam:
- If you are allergic to diazepam or any other substances in this medicine.
- If you have abnormal pauses of breathing during sleep (sleep apnea)
- If you have severe liver disease.
- If you have myasthenia gravis.
- If you have acute respiratory depression.
What are the ways of taking Actavis diazepam?
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor prescribed.
Your doctor will prescribe the adequate dose and for how long you need to use tablets.
Drink the tablets with a glass of water, the tablets can be halved into equal halves.
The usual doses of diazepam:
2-5 mg diazepam 2-3 times daily.
For treatment of muscle spasms:
Up to 15 my daily in 2-4 divided doses.
5-20 mg diazepam once.
The dose will be reduced, it may be 2-2.5 mg daily.
Impaired liver function:
The dose needs to be reduced.
Impaired kidney function:
No need for dose adjustment.
Precautions and other concerns while taking Actavis diazepam
In some cases, you should ask your doctor’s advice:
- If you have breathing problems.
- If you have suicidal feelings.
- Suffer from depression.
- If you have a history of drinking alcohol or drug abuse.
- If you have a history of seizures.
- If you are elderly Actavis diazepam may have effects on muscles which lead to falls and injuries.
- Dependence: There is a risk of dependence when taking this medicine. Therefore, you should take it for as short a period as possible.
- Tolerance: You should speak to your doctor if you notice that tablets don’t make their usage after a few weeks.
- Withdrawal: Taking diazepam should be stopped gradually.
- Mental side effects: Contact your doctor if you have a hallucination or agitation while taking the medicine.
- Amnesia: When taking this medicine you could suffer amnesia, it occurs when using high doses of diazepam.
Using diazepam with your lifestyle
With food and drink:
- Don’t drink alcohol while using diazepam, as it may increase the sedative effects of the medicine.
- Don’t eat grapefruit while taking this medicine, as it results in diazepam being removed from the body more slowly.
Driving and using machines:
- Actavis diazepam will make you more sleepy and affect your conscience.
- These effects may continue for several days after the stoppage of taking it, so don’t drive or use any machine if you are in this situation.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding:
- You shouldn’t take Actavis diazepam if you are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you take it late in pregnancy or during birth, your baby might have some breathing difficulties, low body temperature and your baby may suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
Affects of other medicines:
Tell your doctor if you use another medicine while taking it.
- Muscle relaxant.
The use of opioids with diazepam increases the risk of drowsiness, difficulties in breathing and coma.
Actavis diazepam contains lactose:
- If you have an intolerance of some sugars like lactose you should contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
If you double the dose or forget it, what can you do?
If you have taken too many tablets more than prescribed, you should contact the nearest hospital for you, or contact your doctor immediately.
Symptoms of an overdose:
- Muscle weakness.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Low body temperature.
If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember.
If it’s the time of the next dose, skip the missed one.
Does Actavis diazepam have side effects?
Diazepam can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Some side effects could be serious and need medical treatment.
- Depression of respiration.
- Muscle weakness.
- Vomiting and constipation.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Balance disorders.
- Loss of coordination of muscle movements.
Tell your doctor if you have any of these side effects.
What are the concentrations of Actavis diazepam in the market?
There are three concentrations of this product in the market:
2 mg tablets.
5 mg tablets.
10 mg tablets.
This product doesn’t need any special ways for storage.
Keep Actavis diazepam out of reach and sight of children.
Don’t use it after the expiry date.
Ask your pharmacist how to throw away the medicine when you no longer need it.