What is generic?
Generics are an exact copy of the original brand medication.
They contain the same active constituents at a lower cost, they probably cost 85% less than the brand ones.
|Xanax alprazolam 1mg generic tablets||Sleep disorder|
|£28 – £269|
Usually, the brand manufacturers are given exclusivity from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), they are allowed to be the only ones to profit for several years.
After that period, the generics are allowed to enter the market, with the condition that it meets the same quality, safety, and effectiveness as the brand ones.
If the FDA found any problem with the safety or quality of any drug including generics, they recall them right away to ensure the safety of the public.
So, generic Xanax is the same drug as the brand Xanax, with the same effectiveness, quality, and safety.
What is generic Xanax?
Generic Xanax may be used with other drugs.
Generic Xanax contains alprazolam which is the active constituent.
It contains also corn starch, cellulose, lactose, docusate sodium, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, and sodium benzoate.
Unrealized or excessive anxiety about more than 1 life circumstance that lasts for 6 months or longer is the main characteristic symptom for generalized anxiety disorder.
Other symptoms of it are:
- Motor tension, like:
- Muscle tension
- Aches or soreness
- Autonomic hyperactivity, like:
- Shortness of breath or choking
- Heart palpitations
- Clammy hands
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhea or abdominal cramps
- Hot flashes
- Frequent urination
- Swallowing difficulties
- Vigilance and scanning, like:
- Keyed up feeling
- On edge feeling
- Wince response
- Concentration difficulties
- Sleeping difficulties
The patient with generalized anxiety disorder suffers from at least 6 of these symptoms.
Generic Xanax is a very good choice in the treatment of it.
Generic Xanax is also used in managing panic disorder.
Panic disorder is characterized by short periods of intense fear (panic attacks), where more than 4 of the following symptoms appear and develop through 10 minutes.
- Increased heart rate
- Shortness of breath
- Smothering sensation
- Pain or discomfort in the chest
- Nausea or abdominal pain
- Dizziness, unsteadiness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Derealization or depersonalization
- Fear of losing control
- Fear of dying
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Chills or hot flashes
Generic Xanax may be also used off-label in premenstrual syndrome.
Dosage and administration:
Generic Xanax is available in many dosage forms, tablets, regular, extended-release, and orally disintegrating, and oral solution forms.
From 0.25 to 0.5 mg every 6 to 8 hours per day
Maximum of 4 mg per day
For panic disorder
0.5 mg every 8 hours, with an average dose of 5 to 6 mg per day
No more than 10 mg per day
For anxiety associated with depression
From 1 to 4 mg per day divided every 8 hours
For premenstrual syndrome
0.25 mg every 6 to 12 hours, on the 16th – 18th day of menses
No more than 3 to 4 mg per day
- No adjustment needed for renal impairment
- Advanced hepatic impairment: decrease it to 0.25 mg every 8 to 12 hours.
Generic Xanax causes serious side effects if used in combination with the following drugs.
Serious – use alternative
- calcium/magnesium/potassium/sodium oxybates
- erythromycin base
- erythromycin ethylsuccinate
- erythromycin lactobionate
- erythromycin stearate
- metoclopramide intranasal
- sodium oxybate
- St John’s Wort
- sufentanil SL
Always check with your doctor the drugs you are taking before taking a new one.
Side effects are the undesirable effects occurring in addition to the intended effects of the drug.
Generic Xanax’s side effects differ according to the dose.
Common side effects occurring with lower doses
- Dry mouth
Common side effects occurring with higher doses
- Impaired coordination
- Increased or decreased appetite
- Memory impairment
- Decreased salivation
- Cognitive disorders
- Insomnia (sleeping problems)
- Speaking difficulties
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weight changes
- Nasal congestion
- Decreased or increased libido
- Menstrual disorder
- Urination difficulties
- Profound sedation, short and shallow breathing, coma, and death are the side effects happening with the concomitant use of benzodiazepines with opioids
- Benzodiazepines including Xanax may cause abuse and addiction, don’t exceed the doses or the duration of the treatment to avoid any misuse of the drug
Generic Xanax like the original Xanax has proved efficacy and safety, always discuss the information in the medical articles with the doctor.