Lyrica is the drug generically known as Pregabalin; mainly belongs to an anti-epileptic group of drugs.
|Lyrica pregabalin 150mg generic||Pain relief|
|£23 – £118|
Lyrica is approved by the Food and Drug Administration to be used for the following medical conditions:
- Nerve pain caused by diabetes due to damage of the nerve
- Nerve pain due to shingles (Herpes-zoster) virus
- Nerve pain due to spinal cord injury
- Fibromyalgia (a condition that causes pain and weakness of the muscles)
- Partial onset seizures, Lyrica UK is used as adjunctive therapy in both adults and children older than 1-month-old
- Lyrica UK is also used in off-label uses like chronic pain conditions, generalized anxiety disorder, restless leg syndrome (To have continuous urge to move your legs especially at night, hot flashes, and social anxiety disorder
- There are also new studies that Lyrica UK can be used in association with antidepressants in depression conditions associated with signs of anxiety
Lyrica UK belongs to an anti-epileptic group of drugs, it works by decreasing the impulses in the brain responsible for seizures.
For pain management, it works by controlling the signals of pain in the brain to decrease the pain in the nerves.
What are controlled substances?
After the Shipman Inquiry’s fourth report in 2004, the government responded by introducing regulations in 2007 for some drugs which were called the controlled drugs, the supervision includes management and use.
The NHS (National Health services) should enforce the management and use of the controlled substances to prevent the harm of the patient, misuse, and criminality.
In April 2019, the government announced the reclassification of Pregabalin into class C controlled substances and put them under schedule 3 of the Misuse of drugs regulations 2001.
So, to manage the use of Lyrica UK and to avoid the misuse and wrong use of it, we should understand how to use it correctly.
Lyrica UK should be taken exactly as the doctor prescribed.
Read the medication guide carefully before taking the drug, and if you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
It should be taken at the same time every day to ensure constant concentration in the blood.
Extended-release tablets are taken as a whole without crushing, chewing, or breaking.
It is taken with food or without.
When using the oral solution, use a dosing syringe or any other special measuring dose device; don’t use household spoons to make sure the dose is right.
The dose may be altered according to the response to medication and the improvement or worsening of the symptoms.
When trying to stop Lyrica UK, you have to decrease the dose gradually and not stopping it at once, or else you will suffer from annoying withdrawal symptoms which are:
Suicidal thoughts or acts
Increased heart rate
Insomnia (sleeping disorder)
Craving for the drug
If you suffered from any of these symptoms, you have to seek emergent medical care.
Lyrica UK way of working and how it acts to cause the following side effects:
- Any medication can cause a severe allergic reaction, if you suffered from hives, or swelling of the face or lips, or any other signs of allergy, stop the medication immediately and contact your doctor.
- You have to call your doctor quickly if you notice any or worsening of the following:
- Behavioral changes
- Panic attacks
- Sleeping problems
- Suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- Also, Lyrica UK can cause serious side effects that need medical attention like:
- Shallow breathing
- Bluish skin, lips, fingers, or toes
- Extreme drowsiness
- Vision problems
- Skin sores (especially if you have diabetes)
- Unusual bleeding
- Unusual weight gain (especially if you have diabetes)
- Unusual muscle pain
- Common Lyrica UK side effects:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Swelling of limbs
- Inability to concentrate
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
Lyrica UK can also interact with several drugs that can cause serious side effects.
- Oral hypoglycemic drugs such as pioglitazone and rosiglitazone
- Antihypertensive drugs like ACE inhibitors as benazepril, captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, lisinopril, moexipril, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, or trandolapril.
- Other seizure drugs
Don’t take any new drugs before telling your doctor about taken drugs.
Taking Lyrica UK with opioids, sleeping, cold, allergy, muscle relaxants, Anti-anxiety drugs will cause slow and shallow breathing which may be fatal.
Orlistat (a drug used to reduce weight) also interacts with Lyrica UK.
Not only drugs can cause serious effects, but alcohol also increases dizziness, drowsiness, and concentration difficulties when taken with Lyrica UK.
Lyrica UK is a very good, potent, and effective drug, but also has very serious side effects, don’t take this drug except under the supervision of a doctor.