Omeprazole and Diazepam
Omeprazole and Diazepam
|valium diazepam 5mg generic 480 tablets||Sleep disorder|
|valium diazepam 5mg generic 240 tablets||Sleep disorder|
|valium diazepam 5mg generic 120 tablets||Sleep disorder|
|valium diazepam 5mg generic 60 tablets||Sleep disorder|
|valium diazepam 5mg generic 14 tablets||Sleep disorder|
|valium diazepam 5mg generic tablets||Sleep disorder|
|€32.00 – €279.00|
So, what happens when combining omeprazole and diazepam?
First, we have to understand the nature of both drugs.
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor drug, a family of drugs that help to reduce the production of acid in the stomach.
Acid is responsible for ulcers in the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum.
Decreasing the acid prevents the formation of ulcers, and if they are already formed, they help in their healing.
Omeprazole also helps in relieving acid reflux, heartburn, swallowing difficulties, and persistent cough.
It is available in many dosage forms, packets, suspension, delayed-release tablets, delayed-release capsules, and orally disintegrating tablets, with many concentrations.
It takes from 1 to 4 days to work and has a full effect.
Omeprazole can be used as an over-the-counter drug, that’s why you have to read the package instructions carefully, and don’t take it for more than 14 days unless you reviewed the case with a doctor.
It can be taken concomitantly with antacids like sucralfate.
Common side effects
- Abdominal pain
- Upper respiratory infection
- Acid regurgitation
Less common side effects
- Fracture of bone because of it increases the chance of osteoporosis
- Agranulocytosis (life-threatening medical condition concluding low white blood cells)
- Anorexia (eating disorder related to a mental health condition)
- Gastric polyps (abnormal growth of the stomach lining)
- Hip fracture
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Atrophic gastritis (inflammation of the gastric mucosa)
- Interstitial nephritis (kidney problem)
- Pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas)
- Rhabdomyolysis (a serious medical condition caused by muscle injury)
- Metallic taste
- Abnormal dreams
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (a very serious and rare skin condition)
- Omeprazole may cause a serious hypersensitivity reaction, take care of any signs of hives, blisters, and swelling of the face, lips, and tongue.
- Omeprazole and proton pump inhibitors family may cause a serious condition of diarrhea called CDAD
- If you are suffering from liver disease, you will need to decrease the dosage.
- Omeprazole was proven to cause carcinoid tumors with increased doses in rats, but this condition was not confirmed in humans.
- It may decrease the activity of Clopidogrel (a drug used to prevent blood clots).
While the woman is pregnant, it is always better to treat any conditions like indigestion without using drugs.
Indigestion can be managed by eating smaller meals and avoid spicy and fatty meals.
However, omeprazole can be taken safely in pregnancy.
Omeprazole is known to be secreted in mother’s milk in small amounts, however, it is safe to be taken while breastfeeding.
Back to the relation between omeprazole and diazepam, let’s now talk about diazepam.
Diazepam is a member of the benzodiazepines family.
Benzodiazepines are drugs slowing down the messages between the brain and body, they are also minor tranquilizers.
Diazepam is used in treating anxiety, alcohol withdrawal symptoms, seizures, relaxation of muscle spasms, and to induce sedation before surgeries and dental procedures.
It is available in many dosage forms, tablets, oral solutions, rectal gels, injectable solutions, and intramuscular devices.
Happens in 1 – 10% of patients
- Ataxia (disorder causing symptoms similar to those when you are drunk, problems with balance, speech, and coordination)
- Euphoria (extensive excitement and happiness)
- Somnolence (drowsiness and sleepiness)
Common side effects
- Muscle weakness
- Respiratory depression
- Urinary retention
- Incontinence (inability to control urination and defecation)
- Blurred vision
- Changes in salivation
- Muscles responsible for speech are damaged
Opioids are a group of drugs widely known for pain-relieving, like morphine which is naturally produced from the poppy plant, and fentanyl which is synthesized in a laboratory.
A combination of diazepam and opioids is very dangerous, that may result in profound sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death.
- FDA (Food and drug administration) addressed that benzodiazepines may cause serious addiction, abuse, and misuse.
These may result in overdosing and death.
- Diazepam should not be stopped suddenly, if so, irritating and maybe even life-threatening withdrawal symptoms.
The withdrawal period may last from 3 to 4 weeks.
- Diazepam using may disable your ability to drive and to perform hazardous activities, you should not do any of them before understanding how your body will react to the drug.
Diazepam pregnancy category: D
It should only be used in life-threatening conditions when no other alternative is available.
Diazepam is secreted in human milk and may cause harm to the baby.
It should not be used during lactation, alternative drugs or feeding options may be recommended.
Omeprazole and diazepam should be used together with extreme care, omeprazole may increase the concentration of diazepam in blood, which may cause an increase in the side effects caused by diazepam.
Using them together may need a dose adjustment or monitoring by your medical health provider.
A combination of drugs may be dangerous, need close monitoring, or mildly interacted, always tell your doctor about the drugs you are taking before taking another one.