On 10 December 2009, the European Commission gave authorization for the marketing of Sildenafil Actavis through the European Union.
It is like Viagra available in three different concentrations, 25, 50, and 100 mg tablets.
Sildenafil Actavis is used in treating erectile dysfunction which is also called impotence.
|Viagra ( Sildenafil 100mg ) generic tablets||Men health|
|£15 – £108|
Erectile dysfunction in men is when you find difficulty in getting an erection or keeping a hard penis sufficient for having satisfactory sexual intercourse.
Especially in men older than 40 years old, erectile dysfunction is a very common problem, it happens in about 1 of each 10 men.
In most cases, erectile dysfunction is an underlying cause for another medical problem, but it may also be a problem on its own.
Some men may experience occasional failure to have an erection, and this may be due to many reasons like drinking alcohol, stress, relationship problems, and tiredness.
If this happens in less than 20% of the time, it is not a problem that requires treatment.
But, if the failure is more than 50% of the time, then it is a medical problem, and treatment is required.
Erectile dysfunction may be caused by several factors like,
- Vascular diseases, such as atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries interrupting with the blood flow), causes blocking or narrowing of the penis and decreasing the blood supply
- Neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis ( the nerves sending impulses to the penis are damaged due to stroke, diabetes, and other causes
- Psychological states, such as stress, depression, anxiety, and lack of stimulus from the brain
- Trauma, any injury may be a cause of erectile dysfunction
- Chronic illness
- Peyronie’s disease (scar tissues developing on the penis causing curved and painful erections)
- Prostate, bladder, and colon cancer operations
- Some medications like,
- Diuretics (drugs increasing the urine flow)
- Antihypertensives (drugs lowering the blood pressure)
- Antihistamines (drugs used for different types of allergies)
- Parkinson’s disease drugs
- Antiarrhythmics (drugs regulating the heartbeats)
- Muscle relaxants
- NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Chemotherapy medications
- Histamine H2-receptor antagonists (drugs for allergy)
- Prostate cancer drugs
- Anticonvulsants (drugs for seizures)
- Other substances may cause erectile dysfunction:
Erectile dysfunction can be treated with several methods:
- Oral medications
- Sex therapy
- Penile injections
- Vacuum devices
- Intraurethral medication
- Penile implant
Oral medications like Sildenafil Actavis.
The usual dose is 50 mg taken before the sexual activity by 1 hour.
Sildenafil Actavis should be taken only once a day.
It will only help when sexual stimulation occurs.
After taking Sildenafil Actavis, you may experience dizziness, nausea, pain, numbness, or tingling in the chest, arms, neck, or jaw during sexual activity, if you had any of these feelings, call your doctor immediately and stop the action as these may be signs of serious side effects of Sildenafil.
Sildenafil Actavis interacts with many drugs, some are completely contraindicated, some cause serious interactions, and drugs causing minor interactions.
- elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF
- isosorbide dinitrate
- isosorbide mononitrate
- nitroglycerin IV
- nitroglycerin PO
- nitroglycerin rectal
- nitroglycerin sublingual
- nitroglycerin topical
- nitroglycerin transdermal
- nitroglycerin translingual
Serious – Use alternative
- amyl nitrite
- eslicarbazepine acetate
- glyceryl trinitrate pr
- ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir & dasabuvir
- St John’s Wort
- Sildenafil Actavis may cause a dangerous hypersensitivity reaction, if you have signs of hives, swelling of face, lips, or tongue, call your doctor at once
- As Sildenafil Actavis has vasodilatory properties, it may result in mild and transient decreases in blood pressure
- It has to be taken with extreme caution in patients with deformations in the penis, blood disorders, cardiovascular disease, bleeding disorders, peptic ulcer, liver disease, renal disease, retinitis Pigmentosa (a problem in the retina)
- Sildenafil must not be taken with other members of its family, the Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors family
- Surprising decrease or loss of hearing may happen and may be accompanied by tinnitus (hearing internal sounds from the body) and dizziness
There is no association between sildenafil and birth defects, miscarriage, or problems with both mother and fetus when it is taken during pregnancy.
However, there are risks from uncontrolled pulmonary arterial hypertension to both mother and fetus.
Heart failure, stroke, preterm delivery, and mother or fetus death may occur.
There is evidence of the presence of sildenafil in human milk, but there are no sufficient data about the effects of sildenafil on infants.
Sildenafil Actavis is a generic drug similar to Viagra and approved by the European Commission for cases of erectile dysfunction.
Ask your doctor about Sildenafil Actavis if you are suffering from erectile dysfunction.