Zopiclone is one of the ideal hypnotics.
Hypnotics existed since the introduction of benzodiazepines which offer lots of advantages, they are effective and safe to some extent but the ideal hypnotics must have some characteristic like:
- induce and maintain sleep without any hangover effects over the next day.
- Safe use away from abuse (use a drug by a wrong way or for the wrong purpose) and dependence (adaptive state result from long term use of drug and result in withdrawal symptoms if drug stopped).
Zopiclone tablets is a new ideal hypnotic (sleeping pills) that belongs to a new chemical class, has a lot of advantages:
- Eliminated rapidly from the body; so no residual effects and no residual impairment of cognitive functions.
- No accumulation exists upon repeated administration.
- Its properties are not modified with kidney diseases or with the elderly.
- All clinical trials showed that zopiclone tablets 7.5mg are effective as hypnotic and can improve sleep variables in case of insomnia.
- Discontinuation of zopiclone tablets is not accompanied by rebound effect and relevant withdrawal symptoms.
- Craving studies failed to prove any dependence on zopiclone tablets.
- Side-effects are represented mainly by a bitter taste and dry mouth with a minimal incidence of CNS depressant effects.
- zopiclone tablets have no effect on respiratory functions, all the studies failed to prove any relation.
|Imovane Zopiclone 7.5mg tablets||Sleep disorder|
|£23 – £296|
Evaluation of the accumulated evidence of zopiclone tablets’ use from over 2.5 billion units dispensed in more than 30 countries indicates that it is effective with almost no side effects and an excellent alternative to benzodiazepines as a short-term treatment of insomnia.
Tips about zopiclone use
- Don’t use zopiclone for more than 4 weeks; zopiclone is not an option for chronic insomnia( lasts for 3 nights a week for more than 3 months). The cause in these cases must be evaluated and treated first.
- Don’t drink any alcoholic beverages while using zopiclone, this may have an additive effect and leads to central nervous system depression.
- Don’t use zopiclone if you are younger than 18 years old.
- Tell your doctor if you have depression or any psychiatric illness or personality disorder.
- You shouldn’t use zopiclone tablets if you have any degree of respiratory failure or sleep apnea (episodes of breathing stopping or shallow breathing during sleeping).
- Use zopiclone tablets with caution if you suffer from any kidney or liver disease.
- Zopiclone tablets contain lactulose so if you have sugar intolerance avoid using them.
There are some drugs that interact with zopiclone and change the way zopiclone tablets work some of these drugs:
- Other hypnotics (sleeping pills).
- Antiepileptics drugs like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and phenytoin.
- Antipsychotics drugs (drugs used to treat psychosis).
- Some pain killers especially those that contain opioids like morphine, oxycodone, pethidine, codeine, and tramadol.
- Drugs used for the treatment of allergy-like chlorpheniramine, promethazine.
- Some antibiotics like rifampicin, clarithromycin, or erythromycin.
- Drugs to treat fungal infections like ketoconazole, itraconazole.
Zopiclone with alcohol
Alcohol consumption must be stopped during taking zopiclone tablets, as alcohol increases the effect of zopiclone be a bad manner and may be a difficulty in waking the next day.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant or have a plan to get pregnant talk with your doctor or pharmacist before taking zopiclone tablets.
If you already took it during pregnancy there is an increased risk of cleft lip and palate in the baby.
Taking zopiclone during the last six months of pregnancy can lead to abnormal fetal movement and fetal heart rate changes.
Do not take zopiclone during the last 3 months of pregnancy or during labor, the baby may have low body temperature, muscle weakness, breathing difficulties, difficulty feeding, and show withdrawal symptoms such as shaking after birth or agitation. The newborn should be closely monitored in these cases during the postnatal period.
Zopiclone can’t be used during breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. This is because zopiclone can pass in the mother milk, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine in this situation.
Driving and using machines
Like other sleeping pills, Zopiclone tablets can cause the slowing of your normal mental function (central nervous system CNS depression). The risk of this impairment including driving ability is increased if:
- Within 12 hours of taking zopiclone and performing activities that require alertness
- A higher dose than recommended has been used.
- You are using other sleeping pills or other drugs that cause CNS depression or alcohol or drugs that increase the level of zopiclone tablets.
It is better to avoid driving or using heavy machinery or tools on the day after taking Zopiclone tablets 7.5mg especially if you are feeling drowsy or sleepy.