Long term effects of Xanax
Long term effects of Xanax
Xanax is a very famous drug used in treating anxiety, panic disorders, anxiety combined with depression.
if you take Xanax reasonably, there is no problem at all.
|Xanax alprazolam 1mg generic tablets||Sleep disorder|
|£23 – £296|
It can also be used off-label in premenstrual syndrome, insomnia (sleeping problem), and depression.
Xanax can be used alone or in combination with other drugs, but if it is going to be used in combination with drugs, close monitoring by a doctor is a must, as Xanax interacts with many drugs which may cause serious side effects.
In this article, we will talk about the common and less common side effects, and the short-term and long-term effects of Xanax.
But before doing that, we should get to know what is Xanax, how does it work, and special warnings concerning using the drug.
What is Xanax, and how does it work?
Xanax’s generic name is alprazolam, which acts on the brain and the central nervous system.
It enhances a specific chemical substance called GABA (Gama amino-butyric acid) which produces a calming effect.
How to use Xanax? ( in Long term effects of Xanax )
Before taking any medicine you have to read the medication guide carefully, and if you have any inquiries, consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
Dosage is determined based on medical condition, age, and response to treatment.
Your doctor will start the treatment with a low dose then increases it when needed till getting control of the medical condition.
Make sure to take the drug exactly according to the instructions of your doctor to avoid the short-term and long-term effects of Xanax.
Take Xanax with the dose and duration exactly determined by your doctor to avoid misuse and addiction.
This risk increases especially if you have a history of any abuse of drugs or alcohol.
6.6% of patients 12 years and older have been reported to abuse Xanax in the last year.
Always inform your doctor about any new or worsening symptoms throughout the treatment.
Xanax is a fast-acting drug that takes less than one hour to work.
Its effects may last from 4 – 8 hours.
But these effects differ from one patient to another.
Factors affecting the difference in effects during Long term effects of Xanax
- Individual physical condition, like age, weight, and height
- Combination of Xanax with other drugs
- Whether tolerance has been developed or not
Side effects vary into different types, serious, common, and less common side effects.
There are also short-term and long-term effects of Xanax.
Serious side effects include
- Suicidal thoughts
- Racing thoughts (Overwhelming, fast and repetitive thoughts)
- High energy
- Suicidal behaviors
- Agitation (anxiety and nervousness)
- Uncontrolled muscle movements
- Increased heartbeats or fluttering in the chest
Common side effects include
- Slurred speech
- Coordination and balance problems
- Memory problems
- Feeling anxious especially in the mornings
- Dry mouth
- Joint pain
- Problems in concentration
- Changes in sexual desire
Less common side effects include
- Shortness of breath
- Severe behavioral changes
- Appetite changes
- Urinary incontinence (inability to control the passing of urine sometimes)
Short term effects of Xanax:
The Neuropathology of Drug Addictions and drug abuse stated that using Xanax for a short period may cause the following effects.
- Significant reduction in anxiety and stress
- Decrease in thinking speed
- Decrease in reflex reactions
- Decrease in impulse controlling (problems in controlling emotions and behaviors)
- Decrease in taking rational decisions ability
- Decrease in respiration rate and heart rate
- Hypotension in Long term effects of Xanax
- Tolerance development
Long term effects of Xanax:
Xanax is not a drug to be used for a long period.
The use of Xanax should be re-evaluated by your doctor every while, especially since using it for a long time increases the risk of abuse and serious side effects.
These Long term effects of Xanax include
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Impulsiveness (Behaving without thinking or controlling of the action)
- Aggressive behavior
- Learning difficulties
- Memory problems
If the use of Xanax reached an abusive behavior, other effects may occur:
- Marital problems
- Working problems
- Family and friends problems
- Financial problems
A combination of Long term effects of Xanax with alcohol, or other drugs may increase the risk of dangerous side effects.
- Combination with alcohol may cause breathing difficulties and liver damage.
- FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has addressed a black box warning concerning the mixed-use of Xanax with opioids.
This may result in profound sedation (Deep sleep with high difficulty of waking up), respiratory depression, coma, and death.
- Using Xanax with itraconazole and ketoconazole is completely contraindicated, as it may stop the breaking down of Xanax which may be extremely dangerous.
Pregnancy and lactation:
The use of Xanax in pregnancy is only allowed when there are no other alternatives and the use of Xanax is a must.
Increased congenital malformations might happen with the use of Xanax.
There are no enough studies to ensure the drug-related risks.
There is evidence of the secretion of Xanax in human milk.
It is not recommended to be used in lactation.
Always confirm the mentioned information with your health care provider.